Paula Pate-Schloder, MS, RT, (R)(CV)(CT)(VI) FAEIRS
Lecture: Caring for the Transgender Patient
Abstract: Transgender individuals identify as a gender different than assigned at birth. A lack of awareness among imaging professionals can compromise care for these individuals. This lecture will review pertinent terminology and discuss barriers faced by these individuals. Practical advice focusing on communication and quality patient care will be shared.
- Identify terminology related to LGBTQ+ patients.
- Recognize the difference between identity, orientation, expression and sex.
- List common barriers to care and disparities for people in the LGBTQ+ population.
- Discuss polite ways to talk to transgender people.
- Discover techniques on how to address bias incidents.
ARRT Code of Ethics # 3, Non-discrimination
Review of terminology related to LGBTQ+ patients
- The Genderbread person
Coming out exercise
III. Health disparities and barriers to care
Health insurance issues
Negative patient care experiences
Violence and suicide
Importance of pronouns
Role play scenarios
- Addressing bias in the workplace
- Questions and answers